Monday, April 1, 2013

Normal Conversations with My Kids

I learned a lot the other day.
I now know that when I have to address something "sticky" that I do it in a normal adult way by talking to my kids like they are mini adults.
I stick to the parent/child role when I discipline but clearly not when I'm talking about stranger danger.
This could be really awesome when I have the "sex talk" MANY, MANY years from now.

Me: Noah, since you like to play basketball outside by yourself and it's getting warmer, we need to talk.
Noah: (Blank stare)
Me: Sooo, if someone drives up and offers you a piece of candy, do not take it.
Noah: But I would really like that piece of candy.
Me: Exactly!  That is why we are having this conversation.
Noah: Why can't I eat the candy?
Me: Because!  There are crazy people out there that drive up to little kids and try to lure (like he knows what that means) them in and they always have candy!
Noah: Why would they just drive up?
Me: Because people can be scary and mean and those are people you don't like and don't take candy from!  They want to take you in their car and do bad stuff.
Noah: Okay.
Me: Just don't talk to anyone that isn't someone you recognize.  Only talk to our friends like Jackson's mom and Miss Amanda and people you know.
Noah: Okay.

I can feel how deep that went with him and how terrified he was of freaky people.
NOT.
I will take another stab tomorrow at that conversation.

2 comments:

  1. Kids responses are so funny. Noah's still thinking about candy and not the bad guy.
    But, it's also sad that this conversation is a must. Good luck on the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! I just had the same convo with Ben. Ben now asks about every person we see... "are they strangers mom?".... even about people we know...

    ReplyDelete